Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Installation 4/13 - 4/14 2009

Well, Sunday, my brother John and I built the bee hives...the deeps. My cousin Sandy painted them and set up the foundation and the hives on Monday day. Monday late afternoon, I picked up my bees from nebees.com and transported them to their location. Monday night I installed one package, and set the other next to the hives for the morning. I tried to get all my bees in the hive, but some wouldn't go so I set that on the ground near the hive thinking they would go in...but they didn't. There were several dozen that perished in the cold night air, huddled together in their little box. I feel terrible about it, but I suppose it won't be the worst thing I end up doing to them from thoughtlessness. I'll try to do better for my little bees.

Anyway the second package went in this morning. I sustained one sting, which is great considering how inexpertly I banged and shook my little bundle of bees from their temporary housing into their brand new spic and span palace. I had a little difficulty when I dropped the queen's cage into the hive with all the bees. I had to pull it out with extra long salad tongs (Twice, because it fell back in when I wasn't looking).

They mostly spread out all over the comb foundation -- it was a sight. A number of them were facinated by the queen's special abode, apparently they wanted to break her out but could not extricate her. I'll give them a helping hand tomorrow. I'll pull the corks and then they can chew the candy away.

Frank Lagrant told me to make sure she stays in there for a week or the bees will kill her when she gets out(I would if I was requeening), but I think she has been amongst them in her safe little cage for a few days now, anyway, so I think it won't be too soon to pull the plug in the morning. The other bee keepers I've been listening to have said I could have pulled the plug right away and even could make a small hole in the candy to help speed the way. They say right now the queen has to get laying as soon as possible.

After I went to work this morning my cousin Sandy called to report the bees were flying happily about and coming back to their hives and doing the dance ye all have heard about...I haven't seen the dance yet, but hoping to soon.

Saturday I have to go get some more foundation to build up some frames for my new workforce!

(This was so easy, and I was so worried up til I actually got them in the hives...now I want some more)

No comments:

Post a Comment